Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Psycho #9 by Jeff Jones, 1972

This is the first post I've made in quite a few years. Back in 2004 or so I hosted a website called Last of the Spinner Rack Junkies that was an offshoot of my own personal site which was a forum for my personal art. Last of the Spinner Rack Junkies ended up becoming more popular than my own site and was a bit unique at the time. The web was in it's infancy, so there were very few outlets or sites that hosted older comic books, and certainly very few that focused on particular artists. Since I quit posting old comics back in 2007 there has been a proliferation of blogs, as well as websites, focused on gathering comics published within the Golden Age of comic books that have lapsed in the public domain. They are fantastic resources, but I also understand that this can be a bit overwhelming to some people. Where does one start? There's a lot of information out there for the novice historian. I have decided to restart a blog devoted to various comics and comic strips that focuses on artists from the 1920's up to the present day. These are comics that I love dearly and hope you will as well. I'm mainly doing this for fun and maybe you'll dig what I post too. Now on with the show!

                                      ******************************

The first post within my new blog is a story by Jeff Jones from Psycho Magazine #9 from 1972. It's an absolute beautiful piece that was originally intended for a science fiction magazine published by the same company, Skywald, called Science Fiction Odyssey. I believe Jones was instrumental in helping to create the new magazine but it eventually fell through and this story ended up in the pages of Psycho #9 and a painting of his ended up as the cover to Psycho #12 (seen after the story below). Skywald was a short lived B&W horror comic magazine that attempted to compete with the extremely successful Warren magazines at the time. They published a lot of great artists and, like Warren, ended up utilizing Spanish artists for most of their latter output.

Jeff Jones was a fan favorite fantasy painter and comic book artist in the 1960's and continued into the 1970's and beyond where he created works for Warren, National Lampoon, and other venues. Jeffrey Catherine Jones eventually came out in 1998 and began hormone replacement therapy as she identified as female. I actually had contact with her via email in the late 90's and she drew me a beautiful space girl on a small piece of Bristol board. I stupidly sold it on ebay a few years later. Sadly, she passed away in 2011.

Here's the story from 1972, adapted from a story by Larry Niven.